Tuesday, January 13, 2009

About me

This first post is just a brief intro.


I have numerous medical issues that started when I was 12
(arthritis, hyper-mobility syndrome, chronic pain) that can really
get to me sometimes. We were running low on treatment options because there
aren't many to begin with and I just finished my fourth round of
physical therapy... which is where most treatment plans end, seeing
as how no medicine I've tried will get rid of the pain and all the
doctors I've seen in the past five years are still completely
stumped. We are now trying Prolotherapy, and I pray it works. This
blog will be my attempt at documenting the process.

From what I understand, what I have is a collagen defect which makes
my ligaments and tendons not be a strong as they should be. I can do
some pretty weird stuff with my hands, like "bird hands" which just
means I can keep both hands flat and put my fingers back almost 90
degrees because of the tendons being so loose. It can cause pain
pretty much everywhere because of the lack of support.

Basically my core muscles are not very strong so my back tries to
compensate and that throws my hips off which then affects my knees
(same goes for shoulders, wrists, and fingers). My spine has
actually lost it's curve, I guess it happened because of
all the extra stress put on it... I'm not completely sure.

The collagen defect also affects my skin. I am extremely pale and
people usually refer to my skin as velvety soft, it all goes back to
the collagen. When I get hurt it takes forever to heal and then
(even if it's just a paper cut or something) it scars pretty bad.
There are some other weird things that come from that so you can
imagine my surprise when we started doing some research on it! I had
no idea all those things were tied together so it was somewhat of a
relief to find out.

I'll post about my first Prolo visit soon. Thursday (the 15th) is my next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment