Thursday, May 27, 2010

Tempting Time

Hello everyone! Just wanted to give an update on the last treatment (on Tuesday). We ended up only doing prolo on my wrists, but Dr. B did some sort of realignment type thing with my back. I asked him to look at my back because a couple of weeks ago I had a major flare that lasted about three days. It scared me a little when it happened. It felt like it did before I started prolo. After about a day, I worried a little more. I wasn’t just hurting…my energy was gone too. I was back to choosing between things that shouldn’t matter at all. Like walking with my friends to the Student Center (not far at all, only takes a minute to get to) and taking a shower that night. Forget about doing both. I only had the energy for one, or preferably neither.




My mind went back.



I told myself flares happen and I would just give it a day or two.



But I was still scared.



I won’t lie. After day two my mind was already at the “what if it stays and I can’t do college anymore or can’t do a job or…” the list went on. It’s hard to explain how someone’s mind works when faced with those possibilities, especially when you’ve lived with them before. This wasn’t supposed to happen again. It showed me how much of a whimp I’ve become since the prolo started working.

Three days and that’s where I was at? How the heck did I make it over five years? I can’t do that again. I just can’t.



It eased up as time went by though. The pain faded faster than my energy level recovered, so I was very tired for a while. I was still annoyed, but I knew it just needed more time.



When I told Dr. B about this, he said we needed to check a few things. My back was pretty messed up, but that really wasn’t the main problem. He tested a bunch of things, and said he thought I had an allergy of some sort. He determined that it is probably an environmental allergy that may be affecting my adrenal glands and in turn my cortisol levels. So he sent me home with this spit test thing. I’m going to do it once all the meds are out of my system so they can’t mess with the results. Apparently we ship off my spit to some lab and they test it for a bunch of things. If it comes back like Dr. B thinks, then I’ll just have to take something that will support whatever is not working right. If it’s that simple I will be a happy camper. But he said that it’s not normal for my energy to drop like that, and (warning: this is probably wrong but it’s something along these lines) if my adrenal glands are over worked and then take a nose-dive, my cortisol levels will shoot up. When that crashes…I crash. That may not be how it works, but basically once they both hit the floor you can forget about doing anything. I’ll be very happy if we can keep that from happening again.



But other than that…all went well. Before the flare I was as good as ever, and I’m working my way back there now. My wrists are sore and bruised, but that’s a small price to pay. My back and shoulders are actually the most sore (most of the time).

I think the next treatment is in about five weeks or so.





Oh, I’ll probably be starting my job in about a week. That should be interesting. I’ll be able to get off my feet when I need to though, and I won’t be working a whole lot. It will be nice to have some extra money!

And there are quite a few things coming up with friends. I hope I’ll be able to do it all. The next month or so should be pretty fun.

1 comment:

  1. Chronic pain and fatigue are teh suck.

    Glad to see you're fighting through it. Stay strong, and don't pick up! :)

    ReplyDelete